Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Difference in Transportation #3


[Car -Part 2]

This time, I will focus on a freeway situation. Driving American freeway for the first time was one of the most adventurous experience for me.

How wide it is!


Since I was born, I had only known the narrow and swirling highway like a car action game. Though I was vaguely conscious of the width of American freeway by watching the Hollywood action movies or TV show, the vast and straight road was astonishing to me.

Obviously, 2-lane accustomed driver didn't know how to drive on 5 lanes (in San Diego, sometimes 2 lane, mostly 4 or 5 lanes. on the other hand, in LA, sometimes 8 lanes.) highway. I only tried to use the far right lane so that I could take an exit at anytime. However, taking the far right lane is kind of risky, because most of it changes to an exit lane. I often kicked out of the freeway due to it. I recommend taking the second right for beginners.

Traffic light at the entrance?


Actually, surprising experience starts at the entrance. There is a traffic light called ramp meter. Furthermore, it changes so quickly green to red. Is it broken..? No, it adjusted not to allow too many cars to enter at one time. How good system it is to prevent from traffic jam on a freeway.

No gate


There is no gate at the entrance. In Japan, No gate means you should have an equipment to pay the fee called ETC. But "Freeway" is for free. Freeway's "free" does not seem to mean "no fee" though.

What is  means?

by Y Black
This is carpool lane sign.
Carpool lane allows us to take it in case only the passengers are two or more. It is also good idea for alleviating traffic congestion.

We need to know it before taking freeway if you drive without American driver's licence.

 







The number of parked cars on a freeway


I often see parked cars on a freeway. If you park a car on a highway in Japan, you will get fined or get a ticket. (Actually, in this situation, we say "punch a ticket" in Japanese.) This may be because drivers are required to get an automobile safety inspection thoroughly and more regularly. Sometimes it costs 100 times compare to the U.S. Having car is kind of luxury in my country.


2 comments:

  1. I am not sure if this is the comment form...please add English to this. I wanted to say that I had a friend from England who could not drive on the freeway. She was so scared of it having grown up on small, winding, country roads that I had to pick her up if she had to go somewhere that required the freeway. I moved here from Boston and I was white-knuckling for many years on the freeway. Thanks for your perspective on this. It's interesting to hear the comparison with Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to change the language format on this blog..Now it's available in English. Thank you for your advice and also comment. Every driver on a freeway had "first time". It is interesting to think of it.

      Delete